DIABETES HANDS-ON SELF-MANAGEMENT EDUCATION PROGRAM
New Classes Begin in January 2024
Pre-Registration dates will be posted at a later date.
Morning & Evening Classes will be Available.
To request more information about the upcoming series, please complete the form below or contact our team at 361-887-7979.
Diabetes staff works directly with people who have diabetes, pre-diabetes, or those at risk for diabetes by teaching diabetes prevention and self-management skills. Classes are offered both during the morning and evening and are free. The class is an eight-week American Diabetes Association-recognized program.
About the 8-week series of classes
- American Diabetes Association Recognized Program
- 8-week courses that incorporate hands-on learning
- 2-hour class, one day a week
- Tuesday 5:30 pm -7:30 pm, and Wednesday 9:30 am – 11:30 am
- Class #1 – Overview of diabetes and introduction to nutrition
- Class #2 – In-depth nutrition
- Class #3 – Highs, lows, and sick day management, monitoring blood glucose levels
- Class #4 – Get moving with exercise
- Class #5 – Understanding your oral medications and insulin
- Class #6 – How to prevent complications
- Class #7 – Managing stress and coping with diabetes
- Class #8 – Review of diabetes, how to set goals, and graduation